Thursday 1 December 2022

Enoh Tanjong -A Rare Gem.Rest Well My Professor! (Written by Mabi Azefor Fominyen)

I have been quite saddened lately by the untimely death of my former university Professor: Enoh Tanjong. I had paid tribute to Prof Enoh Tanjong and others in October 2008, in a post on my blog in which I cited and celebrated teachers as exemplary leaders in society. Read here http://mabifominyen.blogspot.com/2008/10/celebrating-teacher-exemplary-leader.html Unfortunately , Professor Enoh Tanjong died recently (on October 29 , 2022) in Cameroon. About three years prior to his death he had suffered a few health setbacks but he made it through and he had been recently appointed as a member of Cameroons's National Communications Council. Needless to say he lived a full life and in the process he impacted the lives of many in meaningful ways. He was not just a teacher but a father-figure to his students. He was an encourager, a great leader and an inspiration to thousands of students and others.
Enoh was a conqueror! You encouraged your students to ‘fight your war’. You urged us to ‘be positively aggressive’. You were both serious and funny at the same time. Enoh’s students later named him 'The Pope' Of the Journalism and Mass Communication Department on account of his tremendous contribution to the department. He was one of the founding fathers of the department alongside his close colleague/friend and ‘Buddy’ Dr. George Ngwa. Several other lecturers ( Dr. Mrs. Ndoh Bertha Barkata, Prof Julius Che Tita, Prof Henry Muluh, Asonglefack Nkemleke , Dr. Charles Tanteh , Mr Tanyi )quickly joined the train under Enoh’s stewardship as JMC’s Head of Department/ Mass Communication Research lecturer. Today (December 1, 2022) is a sad day for Enoh’s family, his relatives, the Communication landscape in Cameroon, his former Journalism and Mass Communication students and many who knew him. 
As I write this post, Enoh’s funeral is on-going yet it still feels unreal that he is no more! Go well humble servant! Go well Sir! Go well Enoh! You had instructed your students to simply refer to you as Enoh in a milieu where some people live by and celebrate their academic titles as well as accolades. Till date I remain 'Enoh's Star' the one you named back in my days at the University of Buea. My mates and friends still call me as such and like them, I still do believe you had planted the seed for what I was to later become! We will miss you Sir!
Even though I mourn, I will forever be grateful for your dedication and the impact you had in my life as a student and a person. 

 While Enoh was alive, I had on several occasions celebrated his life and often shared my warm thoughts and support 
 ( individually , along with my batch mates as well as with other JMC students) . Nonetheless, I am in awe of how Enoh on his part celebrated the successes of his former students- myself included . It was truly a humbling experience for me! 

Thank you Enoh! Thank you The JMC family! Enoh will definitely be remembered as ‘The Man who made JMC a family’! (To quote Enoh himself)  What a legacy!  You were a rare Gem! 

 I extend my sincere condolences to his wife, children and grandchilden. 

May Enoh’s soul rest in peace! 
 
( PS Picture credits; JMC past students)

No comments: